Skip to main content

Politics latest news: Rishi Sunak and Sajid Javid resign from Cabinet

 5 JULY 2022 • 6:22PM

Link


Rishi Sunak quit as Chancellor and Sajid Javid resigned as Health Secretary in the wake of the Chris Pincher row.



In a highly critical resignation letter, Mr Javid wrote: "The tone you set as a leader, and the values you represent, reflect on your colleagues, your party and ultimately the country. Conservatives at their best are seen as hard-headed decision-makers, guided by strong values.

"[The confidence vote] was a moment for humility, grip and new direction. I regret to say, however, that it is clear to me that this situation will not change under your leadership - and you have therefore lost my confidence too."

Meanwhile, Mr Sunak said: "I firmly believe the public are ready to hear that truth. Our people know that if something is too good to be true then it’s not true.

"They need to know that whilst there is a path to a better future, it is not an easy one. In preparation for our proposed joint speech on the economy next week, it has become clear to me that our approaches are fundamentally too different."


6:22pm

Analysis: The end of the road?

Boris Johnson has long been seen as a Houdini of Westminster, able to defy the odds and get out of seemingly impossible situations.

It is far harder to see how he gets out of this one. Only a matter of minutes after he apologised for appointing Chris Pincher as deputy chief whip when No 10 knew of accusations about his alleged behaviour, the PM lost both his Chancellor and his Health Secretary.

Rishi Sunak and Sajid Javid - both highly respected by backbenchers - is a political body blow for Mr Johnson. It is hard to tell whether any more resignations will follow tonight, but it would not come as a surprise.

Are the ravens finally leaving the tower? Stay with us throughout the evening - and watch this space to see how a Prime Minister facing the biggest political crisis of his leadership reacts.

6:17pm

Tory MPs react to shocking Javid departure

Gary Sambrook, who supported Boris Johnson over partygate in January, says of Sajid Javid's departure: "A principled resignation from a good man."

Angela Richardson, who quit Government over partygate, said Mr Javid had been "excellent in your work ensuring safety for women and children".

And Tobias Ellwood - ever a critical voice on the Tory backbenches - said: "It’s indeed time for a new direction. Let’s handle this change responsibly. The nation is watching."


6:14pm

Rishi Sunak: 'To leave ministerial office is a serious matter'

To leave ministerial office is a serious matter at any time. For me to step down as Chancellor while the world is suffering the economic consequences of the pandemic, the war in Ukraine and other serious challenges is a decision that I have not taken lightly. However, the public rightly expect government to be conducted properly, competently and seriously.

I recognise this may be my last ministerial job, but I believe these standards are worth fighting for and that is why I am resigning. I have been loyal to you. I backed you to become Leader of our Party and encouraged others to do so. I have served as your Chancellor with gratitude that you entrusted me with stewardship of the nation’s economy and finances.

Our country is facing immense challenges. We both want a low-tax, high-growth economy, and world class public services, but this can only be responsibly delivered if we are prepared to work hard, make sacrifices and take difficult decisions.

6:13pm

Rishi Sunak's comments as he resigns...

The public rightly expect government to be conducted properly, competently and seriously.

I recognise this may be my last ministerial job, but I believe these standards are worth fighting for and that is why I am resigning.

I am sad to be leaving Government but I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that we cannot continue like this.

6:12pm

Breaking: Another one - Rishi Sunak resigns as well!


Comments